Personal Hospital Support
Hospital staff do their best to attend to your needs, but it can be difficult to provide care in a timely manner given the staff to patient ratio. When you require more individual attention, we can help.
We are often called upon to provide additional care in Southern Vancouver Island hospitals. Having individualized care and support ensures comfort and safety, and may prevent complications and reduce the length of the hospital stay.
Southern Vancouver Island Hospital Care and Support Services
- Personal care by experienced caregivers
- Support through the rehabilitation process or post-operative care
- Assistance with navigating the healthcare system
- Discharge planning – ensuring the patient’s home care is in place before being discharged from the hospital
- Patient advocacy
Qualicare Southern Vancouver Island can provide extra support and comfort in the hospital in many ways.
- Companionship (reading, writing letters, engaging in a game of cards or any other activity, accompaniment off the ward for a change of scenery)
- Positioning in bed
- Gentle exercises
- Personal grooming (washing, dressing, mouth care)
- Communicating with nurses, other hospital staff , family and friends
- Assistance with meals
Our early involvement often accelerates a patient’s hospital departure, and enables us to ensure that proper homecare is in place before they arrive at home. We ensure all necessary supplies and equipment are available, all bathroom and bedroom modifications are complete, and that the transfer home from the hospital is safe and smooth. Throughout this process, the comfort and dignity of the patient and their family’s peace of mind is always our top priority.
While in the hospital, extended medical insurance (available in many benefit plans) will often pay for care by Community Health Workers (CHW’s) or Certified Nurses, when required. Please check your benefit packages for reimbursements.